An image of the Cass County logo.

Frequently Asked Questions

- These are .pdf documents. To view/print .pdf documents you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, a free download.

Q How do I obtain a copy of my deed?
A You may request a copy either in person or by mail or fax. Copies are $1.00 per page with a $2.00 minimum when mailed out. Copies can be faxed or emailed at a cost of $4.00 for the first page and $3.00 for every page thereafter. (Note: It is helpful if you know the approximate year the deed may have been recorded and the abbreviated legal description from the tax statement. A parcel I.D. number is helpful, but please keep in mind that documents are recorded by the legal description, not the parcel I.D. number. Parcel I.D. numbers are for tax purposes only.)

Q Where are real estate forms available?
A Minnesota Uniform Conveyance Blank forms are available from area attorney's offices or abstract/title companies or from the MN Department of Commerce website.

(Note: If you are considering conveying only a portion of what you own, please contact the Cass County Auditor's Office at (218) 547-7296 and Cass County Environmental Services at (218) 547-7241 prior to any "splitting" of parcels.)

Q Will the Recorder/Registrar's Office help me fill out my forms?
A No. Please consult a legal advisor for assistance on types of forms, how to complete forms or for legal advice.  The Recorder’s Office personnel cannot provide assistance in these areas as it is against the law to give legal advice unless you are a licensed attorney.

Q How can I search a property?
A You may either contact an abstract/title company, an attorney, or come in to the office and do the research yourself. Office personnel will be happy to show you how to get started. Due to time constraints, it is our policy that office personnel will only do a two-year tract check.

Q What methods can I use for a search?
A Grantor/Grantee search (seller/buyer), document number search, and legal description search.

Q How do I homestead?
A Contact the Assessor's Office at (218) 547-7298.

Q. How do I figure deed tax or mortgage registration tax?
Click here.

Q How can I find out whether a property is Abstract or Torrens?
A See the attached listings.
Abstract/Torrens Listing for Platted Property or Unplatted Torrens Property.


© Cass County, MN, 2014