Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
General Information About Dependents and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
DIC is a monthly benefit paid to eligible survivors of a
- Military service member who died while on active duty, OR
- Veteran whose death resulted from a service-related injury or disease,
- Veteran whose death resulted from a non service-related injury or disease,
and who was receiving, or was entitled to receive, VA Compensation
for service-connected disability that was rated as totally disabling
* for at least 10 years immediately before death, OR
* since the veteran’s release from active duty and for at least
five years immediately preceding
* for at least one year before death if the veteran was a former
prisoner of war who died after September 30, 1999.
Who are eligible survivors for DIC ?
The surviving spouse if he or she:
- validly married the veteran before January 1, 1957, OR
- was married to a service member who died on active duty, OR
married the veteran within 15 years of discharge from the period of military
service in which the disease or injury that caused the veteran’s
death began or was aggravated, OR
- was married to the veteran for at least one year, OR
- had a child with the veteran, AND
cohabited with the veteran continuously until the veteran’s
death or, if separated, was not at fault for the separation, AND
- is not currently remarried.
The surviving child(ren) if he or she is:
- unmarried AND
- under age 18, or between the ages of 18 and 23 and attending school.
(Note: Certain helpless adult children are entitled to DIC. Call 1-800-827-1000
for the eligibility requirements for those
The surviving parents may be eligible for
an income-based benefit. Call 1-800-827-1000
for more information.
How Much Does VA Pay ?
The basic monthly rate of DIC is $948 for
eligible surviving spouses. In some cases,
VA can pay
more; for example,
because of dependent
children. Call 1-800-827-1000
for information about rates paid to eligible
children. [NOTE: When the surviving spouse is eligible for
payments under the
Survivor Benefit Program (SBP), only the
amount of SBP greater than DIC is payable.
If DIC is greater
than SBP, only DIC is payable.
How Can You Apply ?
You can apply by filling out VA
Form 21-534, Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, Death
Pension and Accrued Benefits by a Surviving Spouse or Child.
Other Related Benefits