Cass County Government
Cass County History Summary
When Cass County was created by legislative act on May 1, 1851, it became
one of ten counties that existed in the Minnesota Territory. It remained
as a created county and had no county officers until March 4, 1872 when
it was first organized as a county, with its boundaries reduced as slices
had been cut off when the following counties were established: Wright,
Steams, Meeker, Todd, Morrison, Pope, Douglas, Ottertail, Wadena, Aitkin,
Crow Wing, and Becker. Our county seat was located in West Brainerd, complete
with a building that was used as a courthouse.
Cass County remained a part of Crow Wing County until the re-organization
in 1897. Cass County was fully organized on May 6, 1897 and Governor Clough
had appointed P.H. McGarry of Walker, G.H. French of Cohasset, O.T. Wilson
of Ellis, James F. Middleton of Backus, and T.J. Nary of Walker as the
county's first commissioners. These commissioners then met that same day
and also on the 7th to appoint the officers of the county. The county
board established the county seat at Walker on May 7th, and purchased
a new brick building in Block 14, original plat of Walker. That building
presently houses Reed's Gifts. On May 8th, the chairman of the commissioners
appointed a committee to proceed to Brainerd and secure all books pertinent
to our county. Construction on our present courthouse began in 1902-03
and the building was dedicated on April 5, 1907.
Cass County has 50 organized townships today, the first of which was Byron
Township in 1898 and the last was Ottertail Peninsula in 1987. Cass County also has 14 unorganized townships and 15 incorporated cities.