Frequently Asked Questions

These are .pdf documents. To view/print .pdf documents you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader,    adobe_reader

Q1.  How do I obtain a copy of my deed?

You may request a copy either in person or by mail or fax with payment upfront. Copies are $1.00 per page with a $2.00 minimum when mailed out. Copies can be faxed or emailed with payment up front at a cost of $4.00 for the first page and $3.00 for every page thereafter. (Note: It is helpful if you know the approximate year the deed may have been recorded and the abbreviated legal description from the tax statement. A parcel I.D. number is also helpful, but please keep in mind that documents are recorded by the legal description, not the parcel I.D. number. Parcel I.D. numbers are for tax purposes only.)   If you need the copy immediately, then you should use a credit card to search via tFAQs2he internet at  It is a little bit more expensive but you can print your copy right away or download to your computer by printing it as a .pdf.

Q2.  Will the Recorder/Registrar's Office help me fill out my forms?
No. Please consult a legal advisor for assistance on types of forms, how to complete forms or for legal advice.  The Recorder’s Office personnel cannot provide assistance in these areas as it is against the law to give legal advice unless you are a licensed attorney. 

Q3.  Where are real estate forms available?

Minnesota Uniform Conveyance Blank forms are available from area attorney's offices or abstract/title companies or from the MN Department of Commerce website.  The Recorder's Office does not create any documents for liability reasons (Also see Q2 above).

(Note: If you are considering conveying only a portion of what you own (this is what we call a "split" of the property), please contact the Cass County Auditor's Office at (218) 547-7296 and Cass County Environmental Services at (218) 547-7241 prior to any "splitting" of parcels to see what requirements there are pursuant to current County Ordinances.)

Q4.  How can I search a property?
A You may either contact an abstract/title company, an attorney, or come in to the office and do the research yourself. Office personnel will be happy to show you how to get started. Due to time constraints, it is our policy that office personnel will only do a two-year tract check.

Q5.  What methods can I use for a search?
We recommend that you do multiple separate searches:  Legal description search,Name search (seller/buyer), and parcel number search. 

Q6.  How do I homestead?
A Contact the Assessor's Office at (218) 547-7298 orclick here

Q7.  How do I figure deed tax or mortgage registration tax?
See the following link:  Mortgage Registration Tax

Q8.  How can I find out whether a property is Abstract or TORRENS?
See the attached listings. 
Abstract/Torrens Listing for Platted Property  or Unplatted Torrens Property

Examples      Platted Property has a lot number, block number and plat name, such as:  Lot 1, Block 2, Park Lawn.

Unplatted Property is described by section number, township number, range number and either by government lot or by forty, such as:
East 230’ of Government Lot 3, Section 5, Township 140, Range 29 OR That part of the NE¼SW¼, 8-136-30 lying west of Co. Road #5.