Recycling and Garbage

recycling messagerecycling message


Solid Waste & Recycling Brochure

Recycling drop-off containers are in numerous locations* throughout Cass County.
Items that can be recycled include the following:

  • Corrugated Cardboard and Newspapers– Flatten cardboard and place loose in compartment #4.    (glossy inserts are ok)
    • NO  food contaminated boxes or beverage cartons.
  • Steel and Aluminum Cans - Rinse and Place in compartment #’s 1, 2 or 3.  (Labels are ok.)

  • Glass– Please Rinse and place in compartment #’s 1, 2 or 3.    (any color ok / labels ok/  broken window ok)
    • NO automotive glass or light bulbs of any type.
  • Magazines and Office Papers - pack in grocery bag and place in compartment #4. (junk mail ok- please remove promotional car keys and other non paper items)

  • Plastic          NEW!  NEW!  NEW!
    Cass County now accepts all types of plastic bottles, tubs and lids!
    Plastics numbered 1-7 are accepted at all county recycling bins. Place rinsed containers in compartment #’s 1,2 or 3.
    • Check the bottom or side of your containers to make sure that it has the triangular recycling symbol and one of the numbers 1-7.
    • NO styrofoam, plastic bags, food wrap or other shrink wrap.
    • NO  plastic cups, plates or utensils
    • NO motor oil or pesticide containers.

Place plastic containers in compartment #2 or #3. Motor oil containers, or styrofoam. 

Please be considerate of your neighbors and of the people who handle this material.Absolutely no garbage.

Check the Cass Web Map Service to view recycling locations. They can be found in the Recycle/Transfer Stations layer under Landmarks.

See links to more recycling information.

loadidngocc recyclingfloorjpg

See the recycling bins and transfer sites page for information on handling mattresses and furniture, waste tires and used appliances, used oil and oil filters.

You can also find information on how to handle batteriesfluorescent bulbs, and demolition and construction debris.


All garbage generated in the County comes to the main Cass County Transfer Station, two miles north of Pine River on Highway 371, where it is transferred to trucks that haul it to a sanitary landfill. Transfer Station hours are Monday to Friday from 8:00AM-5:00PM, Saturday from 8:00 AM-Noon.

Other Transfer Sites.

Yard Waste and Compost

Go to the Yard Waste page.

Burning Barrels/ Open Burning

Using burning barrels for garbage disposal is illegal in Cass County. You must dispose of garbage at one of the transfer sites, or have it picked up by a licensed hauler. With few exceptions, building material wastes must go to Construction and Demolition sites.


The only material that can lawfully be burned with a permit and under certain conditions are brush, tree trimmings, and other vegetative material, and unpainted lumber that contains no glue or resins.

Unless the ground is snow covered, any open burning of vegetative material requires a burning permit from the US Forestry Service, the local DNR Forestry Registry office, or local fire warden.   Additional information can also be found on the DNR's website