Courthouse Annex, 2nd Floor
303 Minnesota Avenue W
PO Box 3000
Walker, MN 56484-3000
Main Line 218-547-7260
Vital Statistics 218-547-7247
The responsibilities of the department of the Auditor-Treasurer include the following:
- Serving as chief general accounting officer: accounts payable, accounts receivable, central payroll and benefit administration, and preparation of periodic financial reports and an annual financial statement.
- Serving on the budget committee and providing accounting/technical support for the annual budget and truth in taxation processes.
- Administering the property tax system, including all levy and tax increment financing data, tax settlement process, parcel ownership database, delinquent taxes, and tax forfeiture.
- Maintaining computerized parcel-based mapping for the geographic land records information system.
- Serving as chief election officer of the county.
- Providing licensing services for retail sales of liquor, beer, tobacco; precious metals; transient merchant; mass gathering permits, public fireworks displays, and gambling permits/exemptions.
- Supervising internal mail services division for all in-coming and out-going county mail.
- Disbursing county funds at the direction of the county board to cover county liabilities, and serving as chief investment officer to invest available fund balances under statutory guidelines.
- Mailing billing statements and collecting payment for all real estate, personal property, severed mineral interests, manufactured homes, and tree growth taxes.
- Maintaining tax books showing taxes paid or unpaid.
- Settling and distributing taxes collected for local taxing districts of the county – towns, cities, school districts, and special taxing districts.
- Completing tax certificates and tax searches.
- Providing tax record information to realtors, mortgage companies and escrow agents.
- Collecting deed and mortgage registration taxes.
- Administering vital statistics – birth, death, marriage, notary public applications and service.
2016 Financial Statement Audit
2016 Management and Compliance Report
2015 State Audit Report (PDF)
2014 State Audit Report (PDF)
2013 State Audit Report (PDF)
2012 State Audit Report (PDF)
2011 State Audit Report (PDF)