An image of the Cass County logo.

How Do I Register to vote?

Image of person voting

Before you can vote, you must register.  In Minnesota, you may register before election day, or on election day at your polling place. Your registration remains current until you move, change your name, or do not vote for four consecutive years.  You may update your registration information by completing another voter registration application.

Am I Registered?

Am I eligible to vote?
You may register and vote in Minnesota on the next election day if you:

  • will be at least 18 years old on election day 
  • are a citizen of the United States
  • will have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding election day
  • have any felony conviction record discharged, expired, or completed
  • are not under court-ordered guardianship where a court has revoked your voting rights
  • have not been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law

Registering before Election Day
You may pre-register to vote at least 20 days prior to any election by completing a voter registration application and submitting it by mail or in person to the Cass County Auditor-Treasurer’s Office at the Courthouse in Walker.

Click here for the Voter Registration Application
Click here for an online Voter Registration Application

  Register to Vote - Voter Information Portal   Register to Vote - UOCAVA  



Registering on Election Day
To register on election day, you must have proof of residence in the precinct. Only proofs authorized by law may be used. A voter can use one of the methods described below.

  1. Documents with Current Name and Address in Precinct
  • Valid MN Driver’s License or Learner’s Permit or receipt for either that has a current address in that precinct
  • Valid MN ID (issued instead of a driver’s license by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety) or receipt that has a current address in that precinct
  • A current valid student ID, provided the student appears on a postsecondary education housing list provided to the precinct 
  • Prior registration in the precinct with former name or address shown on the roster
  • Notice of late registration sent by city clerk or county auditor
  • Tribal ID if card shows name, current address, signature and picture
  2.   Photo Identification Plus a Current Utility Bill

An expired photo identification may be used with a current utility bill.
Acceptable Photo IDs are:

  • Minnesota Driver’s License or Minnesota ID with a former address
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. military ID
  • Student photo ID from a post secondary institution in Minnesota 
  • Tribal identification card if card bears name, signature and picture of the individual
    Acceptable utility bills must have the voter’s name and current address in the precinct:
    a.  Utility bill (delivered electronically or by mail) due within 30 days of election day:
  • Telephone, television or internet service provider regardless of how the service is delivered, such as cable or satellite TV; landline, cell or VOIP telephones, etc.
  • Electric, gas, water, garbage, or sewer, and solid waste.
  • Has the voter’s name and current address in the precinct.
    b.   Student fee statement

c.   Rent statement dated within 30 days of election day that itemizes utilities


Image of 'I Voted Today' sticker


© Cass County, MN, 2014