An image of the Cass County logo.

Information regarding Absentee Voting under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA)

Cass County residents living temporarily or permanently overseas and Cass County residents serving in the Armed Forces, their spouses and dependents who are interested in voting by absentee ballot in the 2008 state elections are eligible to vote by absentee ballot under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) and Minnesota State Law. More information on eligibility is available at the Secretary of State’s website.

Voters listed above should use the Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) to apply for an absentee ballot. Read the instructions carefully and fill out the form completely.

In addition, the voter’s spouse, parent, sibling or child over 18-years-old may apply on the voter’s behalf and the FPCA may be submitted by fax or by mail. Military personnel may fax their FPCA toll free to DSN 223-5527. More information may be found at the Minnesota Overseas Vote Foundation website.

The Minnesota Legislature recently made provision for UOCAVA voters to absentee ballots, instructions and certificates of voter eligibility to be transmitted to the voter electronically (MN Stat. 203B.225).  Upon receipt of the properly completed application requesting electronic transmission, Cass County will electronically transmit the materials to you.

The voted ballots and certificates must be returned by mail to Cass County in a sealed envelope.

Because mail delivery and transit times may be erratic and/or lengthy to and from some countries, voters may wish to take the following steps to ensure that their voted ballot will be received in a timely manner: 

  • Use an express delivery service, such as USPS Express Mail, FedEx, UPS, DHL or similar service. If our office is provided with a pre-paid express mailer, we will use an express carrier to send you the ballot or you may request the electronic transmission ballot, as explained above. Ballots may be returned to Cass County by an express delivery service, such as USPS Express Mail, FedEx, UPS, DHL or similar service. 
  • Make contact with the nearest U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate or, if serving in the Armed Forces, the voting assistance officer. The staff at the embassies and consulates or the voting assistance officer may be able to expedite delivery of voted ballots to the United States. 

If turn-around time is a concern or if you have made a timely application for an absentee ballot but you have not received your ballot and are concerned that you will not be able to return your ballot in time, you may complete and submit an alternative ballot called the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB).

Special conditions apply to the use of this ballot: You must be eligible under UOCAVA (see above) and Cass County must have received your FPCA. The FWAB allows you to write in choices for federal offices only:  President and Vice-president, United States senator and United States representative.

Questions about the UOCAVA absentee voting process?  Call 218-547-7260 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. US Central Time or e-mail


Image of Flag

© Cass County, MN, 2014